South Africans contracting Covid-19 in the current fourth wave of infections are 80% less likely to be hospitalized if they catch the omicron variant, compared with other strains, according to a study released by the National Institute for Communicable Diseases.
Once admitted to the hospital, the risk of severe disease doesn’t differ from other variants, the authors led by scientists Nicole Walter and Cheryl Cohen said.
Compared to delta infections in South Africa between April and November, omicron infections are associated with a 70% lower risk of severe disease, they said. The omicron data was collected for the two months through November.
Since being identified by South African scientists on Nov. 25, the omicron variant has fueled record case numbers across the country. Africa’s most developed economy has fully inoculated about 44% of its adult population over a seven-month period.
In the data that are being submitted to a preprint medical publication — MedRxiv — the authors adjusted for various confounding factors that could influence the results, including age, gender and whether the cases were known reinfections. For severity of disease after admission, they also adjusted for the presence of other illnesses and prior immunization.
The study also showed that those with omicron may have higher viral loads.https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/12/22/omicron-has-80-lower-risk-of-hospitalization-new-study-shows/
- Did Twitter Just Ban Undercover Journalism?
- Insane Vid — Man Stream Admission he Killed His Ex-Girlfriend as he prepares to Kill Ex-Wife
- Inside the January 6th Setup– Who is Ray Epps?
- Campus Crusade for Christ Goes All In On Critical Race Theory
- Dem Congressman Threatens to Seize Trucks if they Clog DC beltway: ‘Perfect time to impound and give the trucks to small trucking companies’
- Dissenting Swiss theologian Hans Küng Dead
- Illinois College Students Want Hate-Crime Culprit Expelled — Until They Find Out Who She Is
- Liars Game — CDC withheld massive amounts of COVID data to ‘prevent vaccine hesitancy’
- AZ Guv signs bill forbidding private donations for election operations after Zuck donated millions for 2020 election
- Putin Orders Deployment of Troops to Breakaway Regions in Ukraine