King County became the first county in the country to ban government use of facial recognition software.
Supporters applaud the newly approved ban on facial recognition software. They said this is a big win for civil rights and privacy.
Those worried about facial recognition software say Blacks, Asians, and Latinos are often misidentified by the software.
King County Councilmember Jeanne Kohl-Wells said her proposed legislation, which the council unanimously approved Tuesday, will protect civil rights.
“We can be leaders and show we can proceed cautiously with development technology that may have caused harm, that has caused harm already,” said Kohl-Wells.
“The use of this technology is invasive, intrusive, racially biased and full of risks to fundamental civil liberties,” said King County Councilmember Dave Upthegrove in a released statement. “I am proud to sponsor this ban which is supported by local community groups, public defenders, immigrants’ rights advocates, racial justice organizations, workers’ rights groups, privacy advocates, and technologists.”
The legislation bans the use of the software by county government agencies and administrative offices, including by the King County Sheriff’s Office.
A number of groups—including the ACLU– applaud King County Council’s decision today to ban the powerful technology.Source
- Insane Vid — Man Stream Admission he Killed His Ex-Girlfriend as he prepares to Kill Ex-Wife
- JAMA: Myocarditis Cases Reported After mRNA-Based COVID-19 Vaccination in the US
- Aussie Police confirm use of controversial LRAD Weapon against Canberra protestors
- Healthy BBC presenter Lisa Shaw, 44, died after ‘severe’ headaches and brain bleed just days after AstraZeneca vaccine
- Sweden’s Lund University researcher faces prosecution for study that showed most rapes are committed by immigrants
- Politics over Science! AMA Recommends Removing Gender From Birth Certificates
- Something Really Strange (and Scary) Is Happening At Hospitals All Over America
- Must Read Commentary by Dr. Angelique Coetzee — Dr. Who Found Announced Omicron
- Not so fast. The Very Misleading Article By a Priest on Drugs And Abortion Testing
- Prince Andrew agrees to settlement in Jeffrey Epstein sex abuse case