North Carolina parents attending a high school football game were stunned by a banner implying a Catholic high school was privileged and populated with “rich, White” families.
“Sniff, Sniff. You smell that? $Privilege$,” read a banner held by cheerleaders from Butler High School on Friday near Charlotte, WBTV reported. The school’s football team ran through the banner before the start of the game.
Butler was playing against Charlotte Catholic High School, and parents described being outraged that the sign implied their children were privileged.
“The thing that was so disturbing was it was children,” Melissa Swanson, a parent who attended the football game with her son, told WBTV. “Whether they are high school, elementary school or middle school – they’re children. The administration, the coaches, the athletic director – they had to know it.”
Swanson said the sign portrays the Catholic school as a “rich, White high school.”
“That’s not the case by no means,” Swanson, whose son is biracial, said of the sign’s implication. “I am a single mom, and I raise my son on my own. We pay for that school and work hard to be there.”
Other parents voiced outrage on social media, demanding the Charlotte Mecklenburg School district take action, WSOC reported.
“This was offensive, even racist and in really poor taste,” one person wrote to WBTV of the banner. “I’m shocked that it was allowed. Does CMS really condone this kind of behavior?”
- New York junior high segregating students by race in order to ‘undo legacy of racism.’ Do they not know what “racism” means?
- JAMA: Myocarditis Cases Reported After mRNA-Based COVID-19 Vaccination in the US
- CDC Study — No Significant Difference in COVID-19 Transmission Between Vaccinated and Unvaccinated
- Uh-Oh. Vials labeled ‘smallpox’ found in Merck lab near Philadelphia. FBI Investigating.
- Is the Pope Dying? 2022 Conclave?
- Rumors Persist Among Vatican Insiders That Pope Is Seriously Ill
- Campus Crusade for Christ Goes All In On Critical Race Theory
- Illinois College Students Want Hate-Crime Culprit Expelled — Until They Find Out Who She Is
- Sweden’s Lund University researcher faces prosecution for study that showed most rapes are committed by immigrants
- Politics over Science! AMA Recommends Removing Gender From Birth Certificates